About The Bothy
Swanbister is a busy working farm, producing quality beef and sheep and has been farmed by the Bichan family for three generations. Built around 1850, The Bothy has seen many changes over the years. Originally used to accommodate farm workers it has also been used to house animals and as an equipment store. It was re roofed in the late seventies and used as a pottery and studio. Having been fully renovated in 1987, The Bothy is now in its 28th season.
Ideally situated half way between the main towns of Kirkwall and Stromness, Swanbister is located half a mile from the main B964 road. The Bothy stands in its own grounds with ample parking to the front and a large secluded garden. A recent addition is an attractive stone built barbecue to the rear. The farm has its own spring water supply, mains electricity and free Wifi and telephone is available. A quiet, sandy beach is situated a few minutes walk from the cottage while the surrounding area offers superb views of Scapa Flow and the Hoy hills.
With the South Isles ferry terminal at Houton only a few minutes away, the bothy is close to the Hobbister RSPB Bird Reserve, Kirbister loch, Orphir Round Church and the Viking Visitor Centre. In the village is a children’s play area, at the Orphir Community School, while the nearest Pub/Restaurant and Post Office, The Noust, is only ¾ of a mile from the farm.
- Accommodation: Sleeps 4
- Master bedroom with king size bed and electric blanket.
- Twin room with full size bunk beds. Electric blankets available on request.
- Bathroom with bath and separate shower, wash hand basin and WC.
- Kitchen / dining area, fully fitted and equipped to high standard and includes electric hob and oven, fridge, microwave, dishwasher and washing machine.
- Lounge with wood burning stove, TV and DVD player, free wifi available throughout the cottage.
- All bedding and towels are supplied. A cot and high chair are available on request.
- Regrettably, as we are a working farm we are unable to accept pets.
- The Bothy Self Catering Accommodation is a non smoking establishment.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with any questions you may have, or fill out the booking form to make an enquiry and we will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.
Cliff and Nikki look forward to welcoming you to Orkney and aim to make your stay a memorable one.